Monday, January 2, 2012

Carrot Coconut Cookies




I just made these 5 minutes ago, and they're my new favorite cookies. If you like super sweet cookies these aren't for you, but if you're looking for a nice little healthy treat these are perfect. The ingredients are simple and wholesome: oats, carrots, whole wheat pastry flour, maple syrup, coconut oil. For best results, accept NO SUBSTITUTE for the coconut oil; it gives a wonderful rich nutty flavor (honestly I think the cookies would be a bit bland without it).

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup real maple syrup, room temperature
1/2 cup unrefined (fragrant) coconut oil, warmed until just melted
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

Preheat oven to 375F degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and oats. Add the nuts and carrots. In a separate smaller bowl use a whisk to combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, and ginger. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Drop onto prepared baking sheets, one level tablespoonful at a time, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. Bake in the top 1/3 of the oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden on top and bottom. Leave them in a few extra minutes if you want them crispy on the outside.

I've eaten 3 so far since writing this. I love the basic recipe, next time I might try adding some lemon zest or cinnamon. Go crazy with your own variations.

1 comment:

  1. This is the perfect cookie for me. I'm excited to try it out. Did you use the Trader Joe's coconut oil that they now carry? I've been tempted to buy it every time I notice it, and this might push me to do it. I love not-so-sweet cookies because then I can eat more of them without feeling so gross! Thanks, Breeetta!

    ReplyDelete