Sunday, February 26, 2012

Quinoa with Mango and Curried Yogurt



I stole this recipe from Epicurious, and I'm glad I did. I loved it - it was colorful, refreshing, and a little bit different from my usual. And really quick and simple. I had it with a little grilled Mahi, and it was much better than the fish.

Ingredients
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive
1 1/3 cups quinoa
1 pound firm-ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (2 cups)
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 fresh jalapeño chile, seeded (if desired for less heat) and minced
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup salted roasted peanuts or cashews (I used cashews), chopped

The recipe goes through a complicated series of steps for cooking the quinoa. I just put it in the rice cooker with 1.5 cups of water, and it turns out perfectly.

While that's cooking, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, curry powder, ginger, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined. When the quinoa is done, fluff it with a fork and combine with the yogurt mixture Add the mango, bell pepper, jalepeño, mint, and nuts and stir everything together. That's it!

3 comments:

  1. Typo! "2 tablespoons olive" should be "olive oil." Hopefully people figured that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this for dinner and LOVED it!!! Eter was so-so, but that's also how he used to feel about sushi and now he wants it all the time. So, we'll see. I love the symphony of flavors in this. Thanks, Britta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish! I think this will become a staple. Aaron's parents loved it too.

    ReplyDelete