Monday, May 21, 2012

Crispy Kale "Chips"

I keep hearing about kale "chips" and the other day someone handed me one to try at a playgroup for my little boys. It was crispy and tasty.  So, I made a batch today. Yummm.  The only thing is that unless you have a 5' x 5' baking sheet, you will need to do what I did, which is do multiple rounds on your baking sheets in the oven. I used my salad spinner (thanks Britta!!) to dry the kale, which I think is important (but you could just use a towel). And I didn't have sea salt on hand, so I just used regular table salt.  I think these will be repeats in our house!

Ingredients
  • 1 head kale, washed and thoroughly dried
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Sea salt, for sprinkling

Directions
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Remove the ribs from the kale and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt. Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through, about 20 minutes. Serve as finger food.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've made these and I love them. I've had mixed results - sometimes they're not crispy enough or they start turning brown and thereby bitter. Did you like this recipe from foodnetwork? Do you have any tips for success?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made these and they turned out great. I was surprised by how light they were, they have the texture of rice paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally responding to your comment, Sarah. Yes, I've had good success with this recipe. They've come out well each time I've made them. I do add a bit more oil than they say, I think (I don't actually measure it). And I rub the oil into the leaves of the kale.

    ReplyDelete