Sunday, March 3, 2013

Israeli Couscous Salad


Well, it's certainly been awhile since I've posted any recipes on here. I blame pregnancy for all of it - mostly for making me want to eat food that doesn't really belong here. The past month or so, though, I've been feeling great, and back to eating good food (for the most part).

I threw this salad together and thought it was pretty successful. This one is fully spouse-approved - Alan loved it and wants to make it all the time now. You can of course try your own variations of what you want to put in. I just threw in whatever seemed to make sense. I'm sorry I don't have a picture... it got eaten too quickly.

Mostly this was inspired by me wanting to try out a new grain. Yes, we get pretty adventurous in our house. I love Israeli couscous - the only warning I'll give is that it really doesn't plump up much when you cook it, so unlike rice or quinoa you have to use more than you think you would need. If it's a small heap in the bottom of the pan, it will be barely larger small heap once it's done cooking.

Ingredients:

2-3 cups uncooked Israeli couscous
2 cups water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth
2 T olive oil

1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup sliced toasted almonds
1 cup feta cheese
1 avocado, chopped
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup chopped basil
olive oil
lemon juice
salt
*optional - 1 cup cooked quinoa

Saute the couscous in the olive oil until it gets toasted, then pour in the water or broth and let it simmer. Check it when all the liquid is absorbed - if it's not cooked through, pour on a little more and let it cook off. Once the couscous is cooked, pour it in a fine mesh colander and pour cold water over it until it's cool.

Combine it with all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. I use a good amount of lemon juice and salt. I like to add some quinoa in too if I have some just for the different texture.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment