Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Returning

I've had an interesting summer, most of which was spent at my in-laws' house in Nevada City, which for you Utah-ites is basically the Park City of the Sierras. It was a great summer, but as much of it was spent in someone else's kitchen, I didn't do that much experimenting with food. I did, however, use some classics on the family - the southwest quinoa went off like a rocket (that's not a saying, but I think it could be), and my coconut curry was devoured quickly (though, to be fair, the DeMartini eating habits are pretty piranha-like in general).

I also did a bit of traveling at the end of August/beginning of September: Turkey, Portugal, Croatia, and Italy. Many people find that their travels inspire their cooking - Heidi on 101cookbooks looooooves to talk about Japan, and can't seem to make anything without adding tempeh or soba. Here is how my travels influenced my cooking: if I never see another piece of pizza, I'll still live a contented life. I was on a beggar's budget, not a culinary tour, which in the Adriatic means lots and lots of slices of mediocre pizza. In Turkey, it means kebabs and turkish bagels. In Portugal, pastries. None of it was very inspiring.

I do, however, see the summer influencing my upcoming culinary efforts because of one sumptuous, beautiful, plentiful item: the blackberry. They grow wild all around northern California, and Alan has become borderline obsessive about picking them - it's like an ongoing treasure hunt. He currently has 11 ziplock gallon freezer bags full of them which he is preparing to transport to San Diego in the coming weeks, and I will have to find yummy things to do with them. My grandma told me about jam she buys that is nothing but blackberry and pectin. I love that idea - a lot of fruit jam is mostly sugar, and it seems such a waste to ruin good fruit that way. I am, however, up for any suggestions. Anything you love doing with blackberries, or have wanted to try? The main thing I miss from Europe, not surprisingly, is gelato, so maybe I'll give blackberry gelato a go. Has anyone made their own gelato before?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh this is a fun blog! I have never made gelato, but homemade blackberry ice cream is one of my favorite ways to use blackberries. I like them for breakfasts mainly: as toppings in cereal, cream of wheat, and quinoa!

    ReplyDelete