Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Salad Bar At Home

 I did a little meal planning this week (it's been a while!) with my sister-in-law who is visiting from Iowa. We have actually already made some of our planned meals! A success, no?  One of the meals was a salad bar at home. I love salad bars, and wanted to try it out. We all loved it. (Our 2.5 y/o was already in bed.  Peter was late getting home from work so we ate late with him).

Our salad bar fixings wouldn't all qualify as natural cooking, but since our blog is inclusive, I won't black out the items which seem less "natural." :)

Romaine
Diced beets (just sliced canned, chopped up)
Canned chickpeas (rinsed)
Boiled eggs
Green olives w/pimentos
Red peppers
Cottage cheese
Dill pickles
Cucumbers
Balsamic vinaigrette

We purchased some of this for the salad bar meal, but some of it was just what we had hanging about the kitchen.  And, we each used our own preferred combo of toppings for our meal.

What would you add to the salad bar? 

2 comments:

  1. this was funny to me because things like the beets, cottage cheese and eggs seem so... salad bar-y. I felt like I was at Sizzler just picturing the ingredients.

    I like adding kidney beans and/or black beans. For some reason I love salads that have lots of things chopped up into tiny pieces - I like my carrots and lettuce shredded. You could get adventurous and put in some diced mango.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been going to Pluto's recently and loving their balsamic onions. I'm sure they could be made at home by marinating onions in balsamic vinegar, but I've never done that before. Roasted red pepper is good too. Actually roasted anything (eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, potatoes) is good to me.

    ReplyDelete