Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Spice Up Your Salads - literally


Just a simple little something from the kitchen of a couch surfer. Every night for the past week I've had this salad along with whatever else I've thrown together, and I'm not sick of it. Not even a little. It comes down to this principle: herbs in salads. I don't know why people don't do it more. It adds a lot of flavor and texture and you don't have to do much else to it. I throw in some tomatoes and balsamic, and that's it.

So yes, I'm cheating - this is just a Trader Joe's salad mix, so this is the simplest thing ever. Even if you don't have access to TJ's, it's easy to throw together:
-red & green lettuce
-arugula
-frisee
-parsley
-dill
-cilantro
-cherry tomatoes
-balsamic vinaigrette

Obviously you can throw in whatever you want - I'm not a huge fan of parsley. You might want to include some feta or something if you have it - keep it simple and try some new herbs. Rosemary? Sage? I don't know, it's pretty bold.

1 comment:

  1. I've had fresh cilantro in salads, even non-mexican ones, and it's really good and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete