Monday, June 6, 2011

Black Bean Agave Brownies



That's right, black beans and brownies, together. Alan approached me making these with firm skepticism; I approached it with curiosity. I wasn't so sure about it, until I was reminded that bean pastes are used quite regularly in Chinese desserts - and the Chinese seem to be doing okay. And I have to say, they turned out pretty well. I even noticed a large slice missing from the pan this morning after Alan packed his lunch.

To be honest, I've been trying to figure out exactly what the black beans are replacing in this recipe. You could say they replace the flour, but brownies don't usually use too much flour, and these ones do NOT have the texture of flour brownies - they're much more of a rich fudgy flourless cake type brownie. So I guess it's a flourless brownie with some of the butter and chocolate being replaced with black beans? They're not exactly "health food" as there's still a hefty amount of butter and sweetener, but at least they're fudge with fiber and protein.

And the question everyone is asking: do they taste like black beans with chocolate? No, not really. The recipe calls for some imitation coffee, which I didn't include, and there is a touch of bean flavor to mine (but I don't mind it). I think if you included the coffee or something like it, it would wipe out any of the bean taste.

Last note: I don't have a food processor, and I think it would have really helped. I used my vitamix instead, but the stuff you're blending is so thick, the wheels were spinning, and it ended up being more difficult than I imagined. So, you can get it done with a good blender, but a food processor would be ideal.

Okay, the recipe already:

Ingredients:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter (I used 3/4 cup and it was fine)
2 cups soft-cooked black beans, drained well (canned is fine)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ cup (granulated) natural coffee substitute (or instant coffee, for gluten-sensitive)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
4 large eggs
1½ cups light agave nectar (the whole 12 oz bottle)

Preheat the oven to 325°F. The recipe tells you to use an 11x18 pan; I used a 9x13 and 9x9 (ends up being the same square inches) and it was really thin, so you should be fine with just a 9x13. Spray the pan.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely. Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside. (If you use a blender, you'll have to keep stirring it; keep it on a relatively low speed so it will churn a little instead of spinning in place.)

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt. Mix well and set aside.

In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the agave nectar and beat well. Set aside.

Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well.

Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy. Drizzle over the brownie batter. Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Cook it relatively quickly after pouring it into the pan, since the agave can separate from the batter. The recipe recommends putting it in the fridge and cutting it up when it's cold; I don't know if you have that kind of willpower, but I didn't. Eat some while they're hot, and put the rest in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment