Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Enchiladas with Green Sauce

This is a great epicurious.com recipe I found a few years ago. I usually double the sauce and freeze half of it for later. This is my go to recipe for delivering dinner to someone. I make a non vegetarian version with shredded chicken and caramelized onions inside whole wheat tortillas and then I just pour the sauce over and add some jack cheese, cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes at 350.

Sauce
1/2 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 green onions, minced
1/2 4-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

For sauce:
Cook spinach according to package instructions. Drain well. Set aside. Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add flour and stir mixture 2 minutes; do not brown. Gradually whisk in whipping cream and milk. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach, cilantro, green onion, chilies, cumin, coriander and red pepper. Puree in batches in processor until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I made enchiladas for someone who just had a baby this week and I caramelized the onions because they were so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this recipe tonight, and it turned out well. I didn't have coriander, so I may have been missing a little depth of flavor. And unfortunately my husband hates onions, so I just did chicken inside with some jack cheese, and mixed some of the sauce into it before filling the tortillas.
    I'm freezing the second pan for when I have my baby (hopefully in the next week!). Thanks for this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it tonight, and I put in a little zucchini because I didn't have enough spinach. I think there wasn't enough sauce because I didn't put in enough spinach, so mine were dry, but they had amazing flavor. When Danielle made them for me we forgot to caramelize the onions before the enchiladas were ready to go in the oven, so we just caramelized them while the enchiladas were cooking and put them on top, so you could do that just for you, Sally. And I think the coriander is the most essential ingredient - it makes me want to drink the enchilada sauce.

    ReplyDelete