Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Easy Minestrone

I got this recipe from a cooking class I took in college and have been making this soup ever since. It is so easy and cheap. It's very lowfat and could be made even healthier by using all organic broth and canned goods, and even fresh veggies. It's nice because you can keep the ingredients on hand all the time.

2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth (or I'm sure veggie would be fine)
1 med onion, chopped
1 can kidney beans
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
1/2 cup mini shell pasta (any relatively small pasta works)
1 tsp dried basil
1 can Italian stewed tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients, except tomatoes, and bring to boil. Let simmer for 10 min. Blend tomatoes, and then add to soup. Bring back to boil, then simmer for 5 more min. And that's it!

As with many soups, I think this one gets better by the next day as the flavors blend. It sounds really basic, but tastes really good. Sometimes I add cheese or sour cream, or even chips like with tortilla soup. But they are not necessary.

A word to the wise. I made this soup just a few days ago, and read the label on my tomato can. To my chagrin, these tomatoes had high fructose corn syrup. So check that out before you buy. It made me angry.

And sorry, once again I have no picture. Maybe I will add pictures next time I make these recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment